- " Multi-Billion Naira Value-Chain Coconut Oil Factory Inaugurated in Akwa Ibom State. "
- " Governor Emmanuel Commends President Buhari for approving Federal University of Technology, Ikot Abasi "
- " NPDC/NOSl Oil & Gas Exploration: Another Innovation That Will Offer 5,500 New Job Opportunities In Akwa Ibom State "
- " Gov Emmanuel Inspects Drainage, Roads, Cable Stayed Bridge Projects, Assures on Timely Completion "
- " 2022 Nuga Games: Gov Emmanuel receives Unilag Mgt. Commits to Sports Development "
- " Gov. Emmanuel donates Special Protection Unit, More Patrol Vehicles to Police "
- " A'Ibom State Civil Service, Asset Management System to be automated for efficiency "
Governor Emmanuel Sues For Peace On Armed Forces Day
By Ndifreke P. Akpan
As Nigerians mark the 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day, Governor Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom state has warned against actions that stoke embers of hatred, discrimination and disunity in the state.
Mr Emmanuel who spoke during the wreath laying ceremony at the State Cenotaph in Uyo, said that ancient animosities, destructive tendencies and lack of love, smack disregard for the sacrifices made by the departed soldiers to maintain peace and unity in the country.
”Why are we still creating layers of hatred instead of growing and expanding the bridges of love, unity and togetherness,” he queried.
He advocated politics of inclusion, maintaining that everyone should, “exercise deep sense of circumspection in our utterances and behaviour, knowing fully well, that as leaders and stakeholders in this piece of God’s own real estate, words we utter and actions we take have deep and profound meaning.”
Recounting that the soldiers being celebrated spent several months in severe conditions to secure the country, the Governor asserted that, “these compatriots whom we are gathered here to honour spent days, months and years in the foxholes, there was no tribe in the foxhole, there was no PDP or APC, they were all Nigerians, Akwa Ibomites.”
He said the task of making Akwa Ibom an enviable state for all, was collective responsibility and sued for love and peace in the state.
“As your Governor, I preach peace, I preach love and I preach togetherness. These attributes have been the articles of faith to which I am inexorably committed to pursuing and will continue to uphold no matter the push to act otherwise. I enjoin all to submit and ascribe to these laudable tendencies.”
While pledging his continuous support to the legionnaires, he enjoined corporate organizations to partner with Government to stand by the families of the departed soldiers in order to minimize their sense of loss.
Wreaths were laid at the tomb of the unknown soldier by the Governor, his Deputy, the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, the Chief Judge, the Brigade Commander of 2 Brigade, the Commanding Officer of NNS Jubilee and Commanding Officer of the NAF Detachment, Uyo.
Others who also accorded the honour to the unknown heroes were the State Chairman of the Nigerian legion, the Chairman of the State Council of Chiefs, the Chairman of Uyo and a Nigerian legion widow.
The 2018 celebration commenced with the Remembrance Emblem Launch at the Governor’s Office Annex, the Inter-Denominational Christian Worship at the Methodist Church, Uyo and the Moslem Worship service at security village Mosque in Uruan.