Profile Of Budget Office
PROFILE OF BUDGET OFFICE
Current Contact Address: State Budget Office, Governor’s Office Annex P.M.B.1112, Uyo.
The State Budget office is one of the statutory government offices which supervises budgetary processes of ministries, departments and extra-ministerial departments. The office undertakes the preparation of the State annual fiscal policies (Budget) for many developmental projects.
The office is by a Permanent Secretary, a career civil servant, with vast knowledge of state government budgeting and budgetary procedures.
The Permanent Secretary of the state Budget office is Pastor Nicolas Ekarika.
To expediently and professionally produce Annual, Supplementary, Parastatals and other government agencies financial estimates for the State within the policy thrust and cardinal objectives of Government with the aim to ensuring balanced growth, development and smooth administration of the State in line with the frame work of Akwa Ibom State Economic Empowerment Development Strategy (AK-SEEDS) and the Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s).
To effectively and efficiently prepare, coordinate, monitor, evaluate and facilitate execution of budgetary policies, programmes and activities of Government in the overall interest of the public and in line with global best practices.
COMPOSITION OF THE STATE BUDGET OFFICE:
The State Budget office comprises of seven directorates with the Permanent Secretary as the administrative head, supervised by the Hon. Commissioner for Finance. The directorates are:
- Office of the Permanent Secretary
- Administration and Supplies Directorate
- Account and Finance Directorate
- Revenue Estimate Directorate
- Recurrent Estimate Directorate
- Capital Estimate Directorate
- Parastatals’ estimate Directorate
- Planning, Research & Statistics Directorate
- Advise government on financial and appropriate fiscal policies.
- Issuance of budget call circular.
- Preparation/production of the state annual/supplementary budgets and provision of inputs for budget defense.
- Drafting the state budget speech.
- Assist Ministry of Justice in drafting the appropriation/ supplementary appropriation bills for assent by the Governor.
- Preparation of accounting codes.
- Preparation of expenditure warrants.
- Formulation of budget policies and budget implementation guidelines.
- Monitoring implementation of state annual/supplementary budget of ministries, bureaux, departments and parastatals to ensure compliance with budget implementation guidelines (receipts and payments).
- Liaising with relevant state and federal agencies in the preparation of state development plan.
- Preparation of budget reports, memoranda, position papers etc. to guide decision making by government.
- Monitoring the execution of projects in the capital budget in liaison with other relevant state agencies to ensure value for money in project execution.
- Issuance of AIE’s to ministries, parastatals and departments when need arises.
- Preparation of vouchers and supervising/analyzing of the returns on subvention and payments.
- Compilation and analyses of revenue and expenditure returns of ministries, bureaux and extra-ministerial departments.
- Provision of technical advice to LGA’s on budget preparation.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE STATE BUDGET OFFICE:
The State Budget office has record the following achievements:
- Preparation of the state annual fiscal policies (Budget) for many developmental projects such as;
- Ibom Le Meridien Hotels and Golf Resort;
- Independent Power Plant, IPP;
- Akwa Ibom International Airport.
- Building of Twenty-eight (28) new bridges.
- Construction of over 300 new roads and 4 flyovers.
- Construction of an ultra-modern state-of-the-art Governor’s lodge
- Construction of an ultra-modern State-of-the-art and first in West Africa E-Library.
- Construction of first in Africa underground pipe-jacking drainage system.
- Construction of 30,000-seater capacity ultra-modern Olympic Stadium.
- Construction of state-of-the-art Banquet Hall.
- Construction of 540,000 egg-sitting capacity poultry hatchery at Mbiaya, Uruan.
- Construction of state-of-the-art Governor’s Office.
- Construction of the state-of-the-art new deputy Governor’s lodge.
- Provision of the free and compulsory education to people residing in Akwa Ibom State up to senior secondary schools across the state.
- Building of five (5) new general hospitals.
- Construction of Ibom Tropicana entertainment centre.
- Construction of the Ibom multi specialty hospital.
- Construction of Ibom Gas processing plant.
- Provision of Legislative quarters to key officers in the 31 local government areas of the state totaling 310 housing units.
- Construction of 2000 houses in the three senatorial districts of the state etc.
- Preparation of 2017 state budget based on International Public Sector
- Improved staff welfare.
HISTORY OF THE STATE BUDGET OFFICE:
The Budget Office has at various times been supervised by either the Ministry of Finance or the Governor’s Office, depending on the state chief executive’s choice/decision. At state creation in 1987, Budget office was located at No. 78 Oron road.
It was then known as Budget Department, headed by a Director of Budget and supervised by the Ministry of Finance.
With time, the name was changed to State Budget Office, and upgraded to be headed by a Permanent Secretary. The first Permanent Secretary of the State Budget office was Mr. Umana Okon Umana (1996 – 2003).
At present, the State Budget Office is under the Governor’s Office although still supervised by the Hon. Commissioner, Ministry of Finance. It has so far been headed by six capable and resourceful officers.